About Our Club
History of the Club
Join the Club
Contact the Club
Previous Years Archives
Annual General Meeting
Phillip Law Medal
Obituaries and Tributes
Antarctic Library Books
Stories, History, Images
Cultural Gifts Program
ANARE Ski Club
Phillip Law Medal - Selection Procedures
Procedures for the Award of the Medal
- Nominations are called for from
members of the ANARE Club, other individuals and relevant
organisations. Information will be posted on this
website and included in Aurora.
- The completed nomination forms are received by the
secretary of the ANARE Club by the designated due date,
- Each year, the National Council of the ANARE Club
will establish a committee of five persons to examine the
applications of candidates submitted for the Phillip Law
- One of the committee members will be nominated
Chairperson, responsible for coordinating the selection
process in a timely manner. The Chairperson should be a
member of the ANARE Club National Council.
- The Chairperson will establish that each member of
the committee is aware of the criteria for medal selection.
- The nomination forms are distributed to the members
of the panel for individual assessment.
- The selection committee may be convened to further
discuss the nominees, should such a meeting be requested by
any panel member.
- The Committee may undertake further research
into the candidates and may contact other persons familiar
with the candidates' work. Should the Committee decide
there is insufficient supporting evidence, it may return the
nomination to the proposer(s) requesting additional material.
- Committee members provide their rankings to the
Chair of the panel. The Medal will be awarded to the
nominee who scores best on the collective rankings.
- The decision of the selection panel is conveyed to
the President of the ANARE Club for approval by National
- The Council and Committee will maintain
confidentiality of all nominations.
- The National Council will determine the appropriate
time and venue for the announcement and presentation of the
Medal. Only the name of the Medal recipient will be
released at the time of the announcement.
- Financial assistance may be offered to enable the
Medal recipient to attend the ceremony. The amount will
be determined by the National Council.