About Our Club
History of the Club
Join the Club
Contact the Club
Previous Years Archives
Annual General Meeting
Voting for the 2018-19 Council
Phillip Law Medal
Obituaries and Tributes
Stories, History, Images
Cultural Gifts Program
ANARE Ski Club
70th Year Heard Island Commemoration
ANARE Club Inc
70th Heard Island Commemoration
Luncheon - Melbourne
13th December, 2017 at the Bayview Eden.
What a great gathering we had to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the establishment of the ANARE station
on Heard Island in December 1947. The day belonged to the veterans and their families from those
early years, 1947-55. There were stories of courage and bravery; emotion and laughter; mateship
and joy as the old salts shared with us their amazing experiences.
And those that were left behind had tales of coping and hardships too. Wives and children,
some unborn when their fathers departed for the windswept speck of land in the Indian Ocean, had to live
without their husbands and fathers in the tight circumstances of post-war Australia.
At times, there was barely a dry eye in the house.
Thanks to you all for sharing such a wonderful and unforgettable occasion.
Prints, books, franked stamped envelopes, badge and sticker from
the Anniversary Celebrations associated with Heard Island and Macquarie Island are now listed on the
Anniversary Merchandise page
And now, enjoy the Photos, Videos and Press Coverage associated with the Heard Island Commemoration
ARCHIVAL VIDEO OF HEARD ISLAND, 1947 - 2012
Additional archival video from the early ANARE days of Heard Island, is now up
on the ANARE Club's VIMEO site. The site is password protected so that
only members and people on the Anniversary mailing list will have access to the video.
The password has been emailed to members and attendees of the Heard Island Commemoration.
If you are a member but do not have the password, please contact the organisers at email@example.com
There are eight new video clips as listed below. The Vimeo website is updated periodically, so keep an eye out for additional videos
Press Coverage of the Event
The items below are about the history of Heard Island.
ABC Radio National featured Grahame Budd and Joe Johnson in a half-hour radio documentary about Heard Island
for the 70th Anniversary on the
Rear Vision" series on Sunday 10th December 2017, at 12 noon.
Grahame Budd and Joe Johnson also appeared on the
ABC TV News Breakfast at 8-30AM on Thursday 14th December 2017"
- the day after the Anniversary luncheon in Melbourne.
These are the eight new video clips, marked # 1- 8. Edited and prepared by Alan Ryan. Sourced from the AAD.
- # 1 The archival compilation shown at the Heard Island 70th Anniversary Commemoration, 1947 - 2016. MUTE. Duration 38'
- # 2 "Australian Diary" - the historic voyage of the Australian
National Antarctic Research Expedition to Heard Island, 1947. SOUND. Duration
- # 3 Rushes from first trip to Heard Island in 1947, including winter footage taken during 1948 on the island. MUTE. DURATION: 30'
- # 4 Scientists go to Antarctica to study the weather with Phil Law on board, probably 1949.DURATION: 2'53"
- # 5 Antarctic Voyage on Kista Dan, 1954-55. Closure of station on Heard Island and establishment of Mawson Station. DURATION: 35'
- # 6 Climbing Big Ben in 1965 - Warwick Deacock tells the story of a private expedition to Heard Island, and the first successful ascent of Big Ben. SOUND. DURATION: 6'
- # 7 Antarctic Expedition VK0EK to Heard Island, 2016. A group of amateur radio operators led by Dr Bob Schmieder spent 20 days on Heard Island in 2016. DURATION: 12'54"
- # 8 Australians in the Antarctic. The Nella Dan travels to the Antarctic and unloads at various ANARE Stations. SOUND. DURATION: 3'26"